Protecting your privacy is very important for Balmuir Oy (”Balmuir”). Balmuir is committed to processing personal information in accordance with applicable data protection legislation in Finland, any guidance provided by supervisory authorities and good data protecting practice. Along with Balmuir Oy, personal information can be collected and processed also by joint controllers.
Business ID: 2131329-2
Address: Konetie 33 A, 90630 Oulu, Finland
Phone: +358 50 361 9860
What information do we collect?
The information we may collect falls into the following categories:
1. Information you provide us with
- Identification information such as a name
- Contact details such a phone number, email address and mailing address
- Ordering details such as delivery address and country
- Billing details such as a billing records and method of payment
- Permit data such as information about marketing permits or other permits and prohibitions
- Customer service information such as feedback and messages
- Any other information you provide voluntarily such as respond to a survey, studies or contests
2. Information collected from the use of Websites
- Purchase history such as orders, delivery information, returns and payment
- Computer and connection information such as statistics on your page views, traffic to and from the Websites, IP address, your browsing history and products added to the cart
- Websites log information
- Device information such as device ID or unique identifier, device type
3. Derived data
- Assumptions based on the browsing and purchase information, such as interests, customer group, purchase behavior and product sizes
How do we get your information?
We collect information mainly directly from our customers or Website users when they are ordering our products, registering an account, subscribing marketing communications from Balmuir or otherwise providing information voluntarily to us. We may collect information also from the use of our Websites by using cookies and similar technologies. We may also collect information about you from third-party sources such as registers of public authorities or our partners (e.g. service providers).
How do we use your information and what is the legal basis for processing personal data?
We use the information we collect for the following purposes:
To maintain customer relationships
- Delivering ordered products
- Customer service
- Customer communication
- Billing, monitoring and collecting debts
- Organizing competitions and draws for prizes
- Conducting user and other similar surveys
To comply with Balmuir’s legal obligations, including
- Bookkeeping and other similar statutory legal provisions
- Preventing and investigating of fraud and malpractice
To improve Balmuir’s products and services
- Improving our customer experience
- Developing our products and services
- Improving the content of our Websites
- Analyzing and compiling aggregate statistics of our Websites
- Personalising our services
- Targeting advertisements
- Creating customer groups
- Creating and offering size recommendations
Marketing and advertising
- Sending marketing communications
- Targeting advertisements
We process our customers’ information based on an agreement between Balmuir and the customer. We may also process information based on your consent for example for sending marketing communications, organizing contests and conducting customer satisfaction surveys.
We may also process information based on our legitimate interest for example for analysing and developing our businesses, sending marketing communications and preventing and investigating fraud and malpractice. We also have legal obligations to process information when complying with e.g. obligations related to bookkeeping and tax records.
How do we process your information?
We process only the information and only to the extent that is necessary to fulfil the purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice and which is necessary to comply with Balmuir’s other legal obligations.
We take reasonable steps to keep the information we possess accurate and to delete incorrect or unnecessary information. We restrict access to information only to Balmuir personnel who possess special access rights to information systems and who require such information for particular processing purposes. All Balmuir personnel are skilled and qualified to use information in a secure manner. All Balmuir personnel are bound by strict confidentiality obligations.
Data storage and retention
We retain information we collect in accordance with the applicable regulations and only to the extent that is necessary to fulfil the purposes described in this Privacy Notice. We may need to retain information to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements or any other statutory regulations.
We apply the following retention times:
- Information related to customer relationship (e.g. purchase history, account information) at least six (6) years from the last order
- Bookkeeping material at least six (6) years from the end of the financial year
- Information related to contests and draws for prizes until the winners are reached
- Information related to customer service at least three (3) years
We retain log files and backups from our Websites and services to detect and fix security threats as well as to ensure that our services are continuously working as intended.
You may ask us to anonymize your account in which case all information from your account and purchase history will be removed by pseudonymization. Thus, the customer can no longer be connected to the anonymized account. Following the pseudonymization the account cannot be restored anymore.
When and how do we share information with others?
We share information with only reliable third-party service providers that support us in the execution of the purposes specified in this Privacy Notice e.g. by performing data hosting, direct marketing and customer services. We use appropriate safeguards with our third-party service providers and partners to ensure that they will process information in accordance with applicable data protection regulations.
We share information related to our webstore also with transport companies and payment service providers such as Posti, Matkahuolto and Paytrail Oyj. We are required to share your address and contact details with our logistics partners to be able to deliver products to you.
We may share information also with any competent law enforcement body, regulatory authority, government agency, court of law or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary as a matter of applicable law or regulation, to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or to protect your vital interests or those of any other person, to investigate crimes, to monitor and collect debts. We may share information in connection with any proposed or actual purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business.
Do we transfer information outside the EU or EEA?
We process information mainly within the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA).
We may, however, transfer and process information outside the EU and EAA in some cases (e.g. when using MailChimp), in which case we ensure appropriate safeguards are in place so that information will remain protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice and applicable data protection regulations. This includes using the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses, using only partners that are certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield (privacyshield.gov/) and using any other safeguards to ensure that information remains protected.
Security of your information
We use appropriate technical and organizational measures designated to protect information we process. Customers’ information is stored in a secured data warehouse and protected from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, loss or destruction. A manually processed information is held locked and protected from unauthorized access.
Should despite our security measures a security breach occur that is likely to result in a risk to the data privacy of our customers, we will inform the respective customers and other affected parties of the security breach as well as relevant authorities when required by applicable data protection regulation as soon as reasonably possible.
You can find more information about cookies on the Finnish Communication Regulatory Authority’s website.
A cookie contains an anonymous, numerical identifier which allows us to identify and count the number of different browsers visiting our Website. If you are not registered for any of our Websites, order products via our Websites or land on our Website via our marketing communications, we are not able to connect the observed information to the name or other personal information provided by you.
- Keeping track of items stored in the shopping cart
- Identifying our customers
- Improving customer experience at Balmuir
- Improving our Websites
- Analysing and compiling statistics on the use of our Websites
- Customising the content on Websites
- Targeting advertisements
- Creating personal size and product recommendations
Below you will find a comprehensive list of our partners’ and other third-parties’ cookies which we use on our Websites:
- Google Analytics
Advertising and Social media
- Google Ads
You can stop being tracked by Google Analytics across all Websites by going to Google's site.
For more information on online behavioural advertising and how to turn this feature off, please visit http://www.youronlinechoices.com/opt-out.
Your data protection rights
As a customer you have the following data protection rights:
- To know who is processing your information, where your information is shared and how your information is used
- To inspect your information and to obtain confirmation on whether information concerning you is being processed
- To request updating or correction of your information
- To object to the processing of your information and ask us to restrict processing of your information e.g. for direct marketing purposes
- To request the information, which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit information to another controller
- To request deletion of your information
In case processing of your information is based on your consent, you can withdraw your consent at any time.
From your account, you can access, update or delete your information and decide whether you want to receive marketing communications from Balmuir.
Please contact Balmuir’s customer service info(at)balmuir.com for requests and questions related to the abovementioned rights. We may ask you to give us some additional information that we will use to verify your identity. In certain circumstances, as set out in the applicable regulation, we may refuse to execute your request, e.g. in cases when Balmuir has the right retain information.
If you are not satisfied with our response or actions when you exercise your rights, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a relevant supervisory authority.
How to contact us?
If you have any questions regarding Balmuir’s processing of information, this Privacy Notice or the above mentioned rights, please contact us any time by using the following contact details:
Balmuir Oy / Balmuir
Address: Konetie 33 A, 90630 Oulu, Finland
Phone: +358 50 361 9860
Changes and updates to this Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to amend this Privacy Notice at any time for any reason. We recommend that you review this Privacy Notice from time to time. If the amendments are significant, we inform our registered customers by sending email and in any case on our Websites.
This Privacy Notice has been updated on 14th September 2021.